I didn’t do much bricolage or embroidery this month, as I was super busy with life drawing and a new painting.
I did however drop a bunch of hours into this one project. I had been seeing these embroidered motorcycle jackets at mainstream stores, inspired by last Fall’s fashion shows.
I found one for under forty euros (in case the whole idea went badly) and ordered a bunch of commercial appliques from eBay.
Then I researched the process of sewing on appliques, learned about invisible thread, and ordered some of that from Amazon.
All of this took months of course, so it was summer by the time I finally started sewing. And the sewing on of the appliques itself took a solid thirty hours.
I just laid out the jacket, which had some embroidery on the sleeves and a little bit on the front, and started collaging appliques onto it.
I cut them up, moved them around, and tacked them down with pins.
Then I sewed them on, very carefully and slowly. It was relaxing actually. Except, to my surprise not all the collage designs worked once sewn on. Sometimes the applique was too thick and deformed or distorted the thin PU fabric, and in some places it just didn’t look cool.
So sometimes I had to use my handy stitch picker and cut off a section I had laboriously attached.
Because it didn’t look right! On the bottom right of the back I had to try three different applique pieces to end the pattern in a way I was satisfied with. I love how it came out, though, and that mine is completely unique.
This is a project anybody could do. The only specialty skills I brought to it were a tiny bit of embroidering here and there to unify pieces and my personal aesthetic. I used colored Sharpies to tone down brights and unify colors in the applique pieces as needed. Objects we own aren’t permanent, and we get to fuck with them like we want to!